Se Habla Español



Copyright 2022 Presser Law, P.A..
All Rights Reserved.

Getting Damages for a Wrongful Death Case

Presser Law, P.A. > Personal Injury  > Getting Damages for a Wrongful Death Case

After a loved one has passed away due to someone else’s negligence, this kind of pain does not simply go away. It can make it harder to feel that their time was cut short because someone else was acting carelessly. When you and your family are struggling with the death of a loved one, you may want to know what it will take to file a wrongful death claim and what kinds of damages you can get. Although it will not be able to ease the pain of loss, it can help when you are suddenly struggling financially after their death. There are different types of damages you can receive after the passing of a loved one. 

Is a wrongful death case bringing forward criminal charges? 

No. The point of filing a wrongful death claim is not to bring forward criminal charges against the person responsible. That said, it is still possible for the state to bring criminal charges against the defendant even while you are pursuing a wrongful death claim. The point of a wrongful death claim is not to put the responsible party behind bars. Instead, it is to help the surviving loved ones receive financial compensation. 

What kinds of damages can I receive? 

As a lawyer, like a wrongful death lawyer from a law firm like Brandy Austin Law Firm, PLLC knows, it is possible to receive damages in different categories.

  • Before death. You can receive compensation for things that happened to your loved one following the accident but before they passed away. So, if they were in the hospital for weeks following a slip and fall accident and eventually passed away because of it, you can receive compensation for medical bills they incurred while they were alive, or even the deceased’s pain and suffering. 
  • After death. You can receive compensation for financial losses experienced as a result of your loved one’s passing. This could be the lost wages that your family was expecting because the deceased paid for rent or bills. It is also possible in certain states to fight for the loss of consortium. This is when (typically an adult) dies and would have provided guidance to the remaining family members. 

If you are still grappling with the loss of your loved one and would like to fight for compensation, you have the right to file a wrongful death claim. Start by looking for a trusted attorney today.