Florida Named Most Dangerous State for Pedestrians
According to a 2019 report from Smart Growth America and the National Complete Streets Coalition, Florida carries the distinction as the most dangerous state for pedestrians. The report, Dangerous by Design, found that of the 20 deadliest cities in the United States, 9 were in Florida.
From 2008 to 2017, drivers killed over 49,000 pedestrians walking in large and small communities across the country. During that same period, Florida accounted for over 5,400 of those deaths, second behind only California.
The Central Florida area, comprising of the Orlando–Kissimmee–Sanford areas, was ranked the most dangerous metro area in the country with 656 pedestrian deaths from 2008 through 2017. The Daytona-Daytona Beach-Ormond Beach area ranked second overall.
The upward trend of pedestrian deaths is also highly troubling. Between 2008 and 2011, an average of 4,320 pedestrian deaths occurred throughout the county every year. That number has spiked to 5,850 since 2015.
There are various reasons for the increase of pedestrian deaths on our nation’s streets. One reason is our continued attention downward at our phones instead of what is in front of or all around us. However, the Dangerous by Design report also found that the design of roadways themselves, built for speed and vehicle enjoyment, contributed to the increase in pedestrian crashes.
Florida drivers and pedestrians walking along Florida’s roadways need to keep their attention to the areas and dangers around them. Florida law outlines the duties drivers and pedestrians have when using the roadways and walking areas. For more information on those duties, click HERE.
Crashes involving vehicles and pedestrians can have devastating effects such as negligent death, brain injury, broken bones and other injuries. Pedestrians walking near Florida’s roadways need to be careful of the vehicles and dangers around them.
GET YOUR FREE INJURY CASE REVIEW TODAY
If you have been injured, contact Presser Law for a free case review with an attorney to determine your legal rights. For over 10 years I have represented injury victims throughout Central Florida in their times of need and I would be honored to help you as well.
For more information or to speak with a lawyer about your legal rights following an injury, call 407.216.2000, email me at Justin@FindYourJustice.com.
Justin H. Presser is a car accident, personal injury and wrongful death attorney. Presser Law, P.A. is a Central Florida car accident and personal injury law firm located in Altamonte Springs. Proudly serving all injury victims throughout Central Florida including residents of Brevard County, Lake County, Orange County, Osceola County, Seminole County, and Volusia County.
Presser Law, P.A. is founded on the idea that injury victims deserve aggressive and straight forward representation to help them through some of their most difficult times. “Fighting for Justice. Fighting for You.” is more than a motto. It is our promise and reminder to our clients that we stand with them, fighting to ensure they receive the compensation they deserve.
Justin Presser - author
Share This Post
- Understanding Florida’s Wrongful Death Act
- Florida’s Driving and Texting Ban
- Florida Named Most Dangerous State for Pedestrians
- Florida Accidents and Traffic Deaths Decline in 2018
- Holiday Travel Increases Chance for a Car Accident
- Post-Injury Statements to Insurance Companies
- Injuries Caught On Video – Lights, Camera…Lawsuits?!
- Car Accidents and Florida’s PIP Law
- Time is Running Out – Florida’s Statute of Limitations
- 5 Reasons You Need A Personal Injury Attorney
- Immediate Medical Care Can Help Your Injury Case
- How Much Is My Case Worth?
- Child Injuries and Deaths Due to Unstable Furniture
- Children At Danger From Vehicles
- Florida’s Slip and Fall or Trip and Fall Law
- Florida’s Accident Report Privilege in Civil Cases
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Documenting the Injury Scene
- Florida’s Dog Bite Law
- How Much Does Hiring An Injury Attorney Cost?