Most parents want to keep their child safe. However, many forget to fully secure their homes. This exposes their children to the danger of unstable furniture. The fix for this problem is simple. Parents of small children should anchor potentially unstable to the wall to prevent tipping of falling. Having represented individuals who have lost a young child due being struck by unstable furniture, the dangers here cannot be overstated.
In 2017, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (SPSC) released a study which reviewed deaths and ER-treated injuries due to furniture instability and tip-over. The study examined the number of people killed or injured, the cause and the age group affected. Between 2000-2016, 514 deaths were attributed to tipping or unstable furniture. Child deaths accounted for 431 of those. Children under 4 accounted for 343, or every 1 out of 3, deaths! The most common cause of death was attributed to the victim being crushed.
The same study found that from 2014-2016, there was an annual average of almost 31,000 ER-treating injuries from falling furniture. Of those almost 31,000 injuries, 15,800 (52%) involved children under the age of 18 with 8,200 of those being children under 4.
In response to these dangers, the CPSC launched it’s “Anchor It!” campaign. This campaign is designed to inform parents how to prevent tip-over injuries and deaths. Some easy ways to help prevent tip-over injuries or deaths include:
* Securing your TV and/or Top-Heavy Furniture to the wall – this includes anchoring them to prevent tip-over.
* Mount Flat-Screen TVs.
* Remove Objects Which May Tempt Children To Climb – such as toys or remote controls being removed from the top of the TV or furniture.
One of the issues surrounding the prevalence of furniture instability is the absence of any government stability standards. However, even in their absence there still exists voluntary standards which can be found at ASTM International’s website. In 2000, the first furniture stability standards were adopted. Since that time the stability standards have been updated as needed. The stability standards concerning free standing clothing storage units were last updated in 2017.
Some Recent Articles on Furniture Tip-Over Dangers
Get Your Free Child Injury Case Review Today
If your child has been injured, call me at 407.216.2000 or click HERE for a free case review. I have helped many child injury victims and their families find their justice and I would be honored to help you as well.
Presser Law, P.A. is a Central Florida injury firm proudly serving all injury victims throughout Central Florida residents of Brevard County, Lake County, Osceola County, Orange County, Seminole County, and Volusia County.
Presser Law, P.A. was founded on the idea that injury victims deserve aggressive and straight forward representation to help them through some of their most difficult times. “Fighting for Justice. Fighting for You.” is more than a motto. It is our promise and reminder to our client’s that we will be with them, fighting to make sure they receive the compensation they deserve.
Justin Presser - author
Share This Post
- Injury Law Updates: Week of July 8th
- Injury Law Updates: Week of July 1st
- What Are Commercial Trucking Accidents?
- Injury Law Updates: Week of June 24th
- Injury Law Updates: Week of June 17
- Understanding Florida’s Wrongful Death Act
- Injury Law Updates: Week of June 10
- Florida’s Driving and Texting Ban
- Florida Named Most Dangerous State for Pedestrians
- Florida Accidents and Traffic Deaths Decline in 2018
- Holiday Travel Increases Chance for a Car Accident
- Post-Injury Statements to Insurance Companies
- Injuries Caught On Video – Lights, Camera…Lawsuits?!
- Car Accidents and Florida’s PIP Law
- Time is Running Out – Florida’s Statute of Limitations
- 5 Reasons You Need A Personal Injury Attorney
- Immediate Medical Care Can Help Your Injury Case
- How Much Is My Case Worth?
- Child Injuries and Deaths Due to Unstable Furniture
- Children At Danger From Vehicles